Monday, February 22, 2010

How Can Diversity in the Classroom Help Me be a Better Teacher

Diversity in the classroom can help me be a better teacher by forcing me to put extra effort into my plans. In class we touched briefly on the subject of learning disabilities and English Language Learners during the debates of chapter 3. I think the biggest thing to know about diversity is that it will not only come in the form of ethnicity but also in the style and level of learners that are in the class. To be a great teacher I will need to be able to reach all the students in the class and help them learn no matter what differences they may have. Having a diverse class will make me a better teacher for future students that might have the same ways of learning. I fear there are a lot of older teachers in the system now that can only teach in one style (or maybe only choose to teach in one style) when all children cannot learn effectively in the same styles. I would like to learn more about the different intelligences in this class so I can know more ways to cater to the alternate styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment